The history group met in the front hall on Monday June 13th.
Mr.Alan Baxter came to show the group a very interesting print which had been on his mothers wall for many years.His mother was Mrs. Ann Baxter. It was a print taken from the original painting by Albert Martland a famous Irish landscaper in 1889,of Guide Road Farm. It shows that at this time the farm was the only building on Guide Road,surrounded by fields as far as the eye could see. He spoke at length to the group,of his family and life as it was when he worked on the land.
Vivienne then an impromptu talk about the early roads of Lancashire and how they developed over the years.The road from Rufford to Tarleton was originally called Preston Road then Turnpike Road then finally Liverpool Road.
She also told us about Toll gates and turnpikes and talked about The Rams Head on the crossroad on the A59 route which when it came about was 32 miles long and turnpiked in 1771. It was originally a farm and then a coaching house. The coaches which visited the Rams Head were called The Union Dillinger, and The Union Machine which travelled from Ormskirk via Burscough, Tarleton,Preston to Lancaster. At one time up to 30 coaches a day left Ormskirk.
The 1881 census finds Thomas Wilson Innkeeper and farmer living at the Rams Head with his wife and family.
1891 it was still Thomas Wilson.
1901 it was Henry Alty publican and his wife Jane, 2 children and his mother in law.
1911 it was still Henry Alty innkeeper and farmer.